Fair Oaks Adult Activity Center
Enhance Your Quality of Life With Healthy Living and Life Long Learning
The Fair Oaks Adult Activity Center is a vibrant, multi-purpose center where older adults and their families can come to enhance their health and vitality. Our center offers exercise and fitness programs, nutritious meals, preventative health screenings, and additional classes and activities that will keep you active and enhance your quality of life. See our monthly newsletters and schedules here!
Fair Oaks is located in a bustling community center, where a public library and other community services, such as health, mental health, and social services are co-located. Stop by the center at 2600 Middlefield Road in Redwood City, or call us at (650) 780-7525 for more information!
Check out this video of clients telling us what Fair Oaks means to them.
“I feel like a part of the community with the people in the class, and the benefits have been great for my health.” – Patter Hatfield, Fair Oaks Adult Activity Center participant
What Should I Expect?
- Hot lunches are served to people aged 60+, Tuesday through Friday. Each meal is nutritious, balanced, low salt, and low sugar. Suggested donation for hot lunches is $2.50. Younger people can purchase the meal at full price.
- Healthy breakfasts are served five days a week.
- The Brown Bag Distribution program gives out 115 bags of groceries a week.
- The Redi-Wheels program provides round-trip, door-to-door service (and much needed independence) to qualified individuals who have difficulty with public transportation or who can’t secure a ride.
- Our Wellness Program offers yoga, Tai Chi, soul line dancing, diabetes education, health checks, feet and hand massages, quarterly nutrition discussions, Ballet Folklorico dancing, and a garden club. We also offer many classes, such as ESL and other language classes to help you develop new skills. Check our calendar for a listing of our classes.
Counseling and Case Management
- Trained peer counselors work with women in “platica” (“chat” in Spanish) sessions to provide support and companionship.
- Bi-lingual case management is a professional referral and advocacy service that can help you with issues including health care, housing, transportation, in-home care, obligations or letter writing assistance regarding these types of issues. The program is available to seniors and their families.
- Counseling for older adults requiring individualized care is available through the Elder Talk Program to Medicare and self pay clients.
“The exchange of ideas makes you feel good. It doesn’t make you so isolated in your home and I think that keeps the community together, so it feels wonderful.” – Tammy Herrera, Fair Oaks Adult Activity Center participant
Your Donation Changes Lives
To donate to support Fair Oaks Adult Activity Center, click here. Read below about the difference you can make with your donation.
A nutritious morning meal helps us move, think, and live more efficiently: $100 starts the day off right with a healthy breakfast for 30 older adults.
Consistent exercise helps maintain muscle, mobility, build bones and gain strength: $250 pays for five tai chi or yoga classes allowing older adults to keep moving and stay healthy.
Maintaining an active social life helps to support positive mental health allowing us to deal with challenges and problems: $400 provides food and entertainment for one social event for 75 older adults giving them the chance to dance, laugh, and develop a strong social network.
Working in the garden can improve hand strength and self-esteem promoting happiness and a calm mind: $500 helps fund the interactive organic garden that older adults create and maintain at Fair Oaks Adult Activity Center.
Having a reason to eat a healthy meal on a regular basis promotes happiness and health: $1,000 provides 608 nutritious lunches in one month at Fair Oaks Adult Activity Center helping to combat hunger, malnutrition and isolation.
Reliable transportation provides stability, the ability to gain control and make plans and the removal of isolation: $2,500 provides Redi-wheel transportation to and from Fair Oaks Adult Activity Center for an entire year.
“It feels like you have a family somewhere else. It feels like you have two homes. So for me, this place is just the perfect place to be.” – Tammy Herrera, Fair Oaks Adult Activity Center participant