Have you ever felt alone, without a friend or family member you could turn to for advice or help? As a volunteer Senior Peer Counselor you can end isolation for older adults in our community and be the friendly face that brings indescribable happiness to someone in need. If you are retired, or about to retire, becoming a Senior Peer Counselor is the perfect opportunity to stay active and give back.
Training begins on Wednesday, April 6 in Spanish and Tuesday, May 3 in English for interested individuals. Potential volunteers should be age 55 or older, have transportation, be able to donate at least one hour of their time each week, and commit to meeting with fellow volunteers twice a month.
The six-week training includes bi-weekly, three-hour sessions where volunteers will learn the basics of counseling, including communication and active listening skills, how to recognize and respond to depression and anxiety, and techniques when working with grief and loss.
To enroll in a training session, apply for counseling services, or learn more about our programs, please contact:
- Geri Lustenberg (English): email@example.com or 650.403.4300 ext. 4389
- Victoria Valenica (Spanish): firstname.lastname@example.org or 650.403.4300 ext. 4321
- Judy Chin (Chinese): email@example.com or 650.403.4300 ext. 4392
- Ofie Carpio Albrecht (Filipino): firstname.lastname@example.org or 650.403.4300 ext. 4363
- Steven Gu (LGBT): email@example.com or 650.403.4300 ext 4383